Friday, January 16, 2009

We pulled it off



We surprised my Mother in Law for her 60th birthday. It was awesome! After months of planning we pulled it off. In this family that is huge, everything gets leaked. Shes a tricky one too. She has like a sixth sense or something when we are doing something we dont want her to know about. So heres the story, bear with me.
We wanted to celebrate her turning 60 and with a family this size its hard to find something original. My brilliant sister in law thought up the idea, talked it over with me, then the other sisters and are wheels were in motion. I wont bore you with all the details about what worked out and what didnt but now with it behind us it turned out perfect, for her.

We knew we couldnt just invite her out last minute and expect things to run smoothly. So she was going to dinner with, Erin, Stephanie, Deana and I . (Her daughters plus well you know me, her most favorite daughter in law! hehe) Her favorite place is the Pheasant Club, not the dressiest of places but we knew we had to get her dressed up. Not that she goes out ever looking bad, but we had to do it to her standards. So we told her we were taking her to see a show afterwards. Awesome plan girls. She asks about so and so and so and so and so and so , simple response, "She has plans, no mom, dont know mom blah blah blah" Then we realize Zack wont be able to make it, his schedule with work wouldnt allow it. UhOh! We knew that wasnt going to go over well. So she knows theres a possibility that he wont be here for her birthday weekend. Bummer! Last minute things turned around, Zack headed home, not only for the weekend but for good. Oh Yeah! So new twist, we are going to surprise her. Little things started falling apart and we realized we had to tell her he was home. Then had to tell her, convince her, plead with her that he wouldnt be coming to dinner. "Its a girls night, we went through all this trouble to not have the kids and have a girls night, just let us make the plans" Geez......what are we chopped liver! :) So Zack planned his own dinner with her the next night. (Oh by the way Mom sorry about those false plans) Then finally all goes smoothly. Saturday was hectic racing around getting last minute things done, putting together the picture collage, last minute touches.



Just like that Babe, perfect! He can prepare for a party with the best of them. Thank you for putting up with my crazy ideas, orders and requests! I love you! We make an awesome team.



Here we are preparing for everyone to get there, we framed pictures of her, from through out her life, cropped and altered and blew them up etc. Place them around the room on the tables. Personalized disposable cameras placed on the tables. Erin gathered quotes from the grandchildren and children of their favorite memories of their Nana or Mom. Printed them on pretty cardstock and placed them around the room.
And then.......all our hard work paid off. She arrived, we (her girls) left the party to meet her in the bar, Erin went and picked her up so the timing could all be right.

First reaction, shock, not sure if this is really real.


A little scared, all these people. I had no clue!


YEAH!!!! Im laughing and crying and so shocked still but so excited all these people that I love.




My Mother in law, Steph and Uncle Ron. The sweetest man we know.



My beautiful husband and his Sister Steph.




My Mother in law and her girls. Good job ladies!


My Father in law and most of his children.

Me and Steph.


The one and only! My Father in law





Our favorite Aunt B.



Deana (Sister in law), Michael (brother in law) and me, I keep popping up everywhere! heheh










My beautiful Sister in law Erin. Her idea.






Anything in my teeth? CAVITY CHECK!!



Happy Birthday to you! The Best Mother, Mother in law, Grandmother, Nana, sister, friend, coworker and woman anyone could ask for!

No comments: