Friday, September 3, 2010

Our first day!

The story of her first day of School. For years she has attended her brothers Open House and all sorts of School festivities. Her reply was always "When do I get to start school?" We always told her soon. Secretly wishing time would stay still. This little girl of ours was growing up way too fast. We prepped her for weeks about school(Much longer but who's counting). She was so excited, I was so nervous.  The big morning came and we got to her big girl school and she wasn't so excited anymore. She was nervous she had fear all over her face. I will never forget watching her walk in front of me across the cross walk with the flow of all the bigger kids. Her head was held high and she had such a pep in her step. I watched her and I felt something in my chest something huge. It was such a moment. She was clearly growing up. We got across the street and got closer to the Kindergarten area and she reached for my hand. I dont care how old she gets or how much goes on, when your child reaches for your hand searching out that security, it will ALWAYS be such a wonderful feeling. 
We meeted and greeted all the parents and kids coming in. Some familiar faces some not so familiar faces. We walked the playground so she could check it all out. (We did this the day before too.) She DID NOT want to take off her backpack. She was not ready for that yet. Finally she got comfortable and took off her backpack and then the whistle blew, it was time to line up. Her eyes started watering and her lips started trembling. Oooooh Noooooo!! We stood in line and she clung to me. It was soon time to make her way in the classroom and she was still clinging to me crying. hard. I kept my big glasses on and my reassuring Mommy voice that everything was going to be ok as I ignored the lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes. I couldnt let her see how devastated I was.
I came back to pick her up a couple hours later and she was so excited. She loves her teacher and she loves Kindergarten. I am SOOOO relieved!!

Cole is growing up sooooo fast. It feels like just yesterday I was dropping him off at Kindergarten and now he is in Jr. High! Where has the time gone? He walked to school with his Sissy and I and then went on his way. He starts switching classes this year and he absolutely loves it!

I think we are going to have a good year ;)

No comments: