Monday, April 6, 2009

A difficult decision

I have really been neglecting this blog. The last couple weeks have really been a blur. So many things have been going on, its hard to find a place to start. I will start with this...

Zack and I (an many other loyal supporters) have been working on a business deal to purchase a gym. Of all of the many things that have either fallen in our lap, flew out of our hands, or my husband has spent countless hours on. This by far was one of the biggest. As most of you know, Zack is a Entrepreneur, always chasing a deal, or running from it, this all leads back to his passion. The characteristic that I believe gets him here. He is one of the most passionate people I have ever met, he puts his whole heart and soul into everything he does. This is one of the most inspiring things to watch and also one of the hardest.
One of his greater passions is fitness, in the gym, in the home, food, supplements, you name it. He loves it. This happens to be one we share. If I could choose a company/business we as a family and as partners could run/manage together, it would be a gym. Well the opportunity presented itself a couple months ago. So we literally ate, drank, slept and worked this gym, every second of the last couple months. It was one of the most exhausting things I have ever done. If you think I was tired you could only imagine how Zack felt. Any effort I was putting into it, you can go ahead and multiply that by 100, thats what he was putting into it. I dont think I have ever been more proud of him, he exhausted every recourse and did not leave one stone unturned, he could honestly say, he put his due diligence in on this one. Every day we were presented with a new obstacle, a new task, a new decision that we had to spin in our heads, then come together to make the best decision possible. All the while, maintaining our jobs, our home, our children and eachother oh and ourselves. At the end of the day, we were spent.
Long story short, we were going forward, the cards were in our favor, we proposed what we would want in a perfect world. They accepted. We were left a little stunned, a little excited a lot of scared and every other emotion.
I had my reservations, Zack had his, and our support system had theirs, many of which were the same. Zack did one of the most honorable things anyone could have asked of him, he pulled the plug at the last minute. By the last minute I mean, we were to take ownership, April 1st. The business license was being processed, the business account was established, credit cards in the mail, the vendors were lined up, the supplies were stocked, and on and on, this was going to happen, we were moving forward. I was prepared for what was ahead.
Through this process we knew we had a huge commitment ahead of us. On March 31 I dropped my husband off at the airport and had to say goodbye and prepare for yet another haul without him. His journey on Santa Rosa Island has begun. So while he is away working I had/have my list to manage. There are many reasons why he decided to turn the gym down. Its a decision we are both happy with. Sigh.....of relief. Im really not sure how I would have made it through the next few months. I know I would have, but in what condition I am not sure, and so glad I did not have to find out. From the beginning this was his baby, his dream, his decision, he had to make the choice. Not me, not our family, but him. I know deep down he wanted someone else to make the decision for him, but no one could.
We both feel as though a ton has been lifted off of our shoulders. Its easy to breath again. I am proud of all the time and energy he put into this, I am proud of the decision he made. It was right for many reasons, and we both learned so much along the way.

1 comment:

Marc and Stacy said...

Great outlook! I'm glad you guys feel like your decision worked out! Lessons learned are always important!