Sunday, November 9, 2008

Our senses...


Anyone who knows me knows I have an obsession with smell. I smell everything and like when everything smells good. I have even passed this trait on to others close to me.


A simple smell can bring back a flood of memories. There are often times when I walk into my house and on certain days at certain moments it smells like my grandma's house. I get such a sense of comfort and longing. When I smell "Loves Baby Soft" I go right back to being 7 years old. There are a million different things that bring back a million different memories.

I buy "Midnight pomegranate" lotion from Bath & Body Works, not because Im in love with it anymore but because I go right back to the best day of my life, my wedding day, every time I put it on. Every time I get a whiff of dirt bike exhaust it brings me back to Friday nights at Sac Raceway, watching Cole-man defeat his components in his mad dash to the finish line.
I have a point to this post, I promise. The love of my life bought me a new car. Not just any new car but the car I wanted. There is a difference. I have had a few cars over the past few years a few of mine and a few of his. None of which brought back any memories like this. The first thing I said during my first encounter with my new love, ok my new other love is "OMG it reminds me of the Honda" to which he agreed. No big deal, I get that. While driving it for the first time, I could have pulled off the road, put my head back and just breathed deep. I didnt do this, just at the stop lights. "The said Honda" was the first car I bought on my own. I was soooo proud of myself. I bought it brand new, 2003 Honda Civic I loved loved it. For me it was a defining moment of my independence and I was young and proud of my car. While sitting in my new baby it brought me right back to that time. It was when Zack and I first started dating. So this is what drove me to write this post. Here are some factory pictures of my baby and a few of my other favorites.



If anyone is in love with Candles and the way they make your home smell like I am, then you need to know about Gold Canyon. I came across my first Gold Canyon Candle 8 years ago and have been in love with them ever since. I burn them throughout the year and have my favorite senses for the different seasons and Holidays. Apple Orchard Pearadise for Summer, Caramel Apple for Halloween (smells JUST like the caramel apple suckers), Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving, and a few chosen ones for Christmas, usually consist of cinnamon. This is going to sound like a sales pitch because it is, you will not find another candle that is more fragrant I promise, the smell will carry throughout your home. Shortly after I discovered this treasure I started selling them on the side, not for an income but mostly for the discount for my personal candles, well ok and to spread the word. Im still in love with them today.

2 comments:

Marc and Stacy said...

Great post! I loved it...and I totally know what you mean about smells and memories! How exciting that you got a new car...I can't tell what that is, it kind of looks like a 4 runner, but I'm not sure...
Also, I need to buy some candles! Plus it would give us an excuse to finally get together.

Unknown said...

I'm the exact same way about smells. I smell a certain shampoo and I'm in high school again. My aunt's house smells a certain way, and I went back to visit--whoosh, I was ten. Love the post.