Sunday, March 27, 2011

The first few days....

We ended up having to stay an extra night in the hospital. Brooklyn was considered high birth weight so they make you stay 48 hours rather than 24. I was so upset when they told me that because I was so ready to go home. They want to monitor for hypoglycemia and jaundice, so another night it is. That night was rough. I was exhausted and my milk hadn't come in and Brooklyn was hungry. It seemed like every time she would fall asleep I would finally get settled and someone would come in to take vitals or bring food or run a test or something. I had only a couple hours of sleep which wasn't helping at all.
So we were sooo excited to get to go home the next day which was Saturday and our little family was happy too. Taylor didn't like Mommy staying at the hospital.

Monday morning we had her first Doctor appt. I noticed she was looking really yellow. Sure enough she had elevated biliruben. The doctor ordered what they call a Billie blanket for us to use at home to get it to go down. Not sure why they call it a blanket because it is not a blanket at all. The plan was for her levels to stay the same or start going down which would be better. The next morning we were back at the Doctors to check her levels again. Bad news, they went up so she was admitted to the NICU right away. Let me tell you there is nothing more stressful then when your children are sick and even more stressful when they are so little. It broke my heart. In the NICU EVERYTHING is measured and weighed and accounted for. So I had to pump so they knew exactly how much milk she was getting and they weighed her diapers everytime she was changed. I was very impressed with the care we received and luckily it was short lived, we only had to stay 24 hours. Her poor little heel had been pricked so many times it was sad. Her levels had dropped and we were in the clear. Thank goodness!



She likes laying on her side, so cute.



Tired Daddy feeding Brooklyn.
In the picture above you can see the yellow on her face. With jaundice it starts on the head and works its way down, she was yellow all the way down to her legs. You can see it going away in this picture.

I wasn't going to post this picture because I look AWFUL. I was soooo exhausted and well you know how beautiful we are right after we have babies! lol but I had to post because it was a very important time in the NICU, SKIN TO SKIN ;) Right before we got to go home.

No comments: